Field Service Engineer - Electrical / Highlands
Job Title - Field Service Engineer - Electrical
Reports to - Field Service Manager
* Perform failure analysis and root cause studies of premature component failures and formulate the actions necessary to match component reliability.
* Perform on-site commissioning of D-VAR, PQ-SVC systems and inverter components and control electronics for domestic and international customers.
* Train customer in operating and maintenance practices as appropriate for system type.
* Assist Engineering & Manufacturing with factory testing of new units.
* Responsible for modifying documentation pertaining to each customer unit including schematics, user manuals, safety practices, etc, to reflect actual site/installation conditions.
* Ability to specify, review, and implement specialized maintenance procedures for field installations.
* Monitor customer units to foresee problems and develop solutions before they affect the customer.
* Interact with customer representative to solve problems that need to be handled remotely. As necessary, travel to the customer site to maintain high reliability.
* Provide written communications regarding customer units. Produce, distribute, and maintain files containing service reports after each on-site visit. Maintain files and write monthly reports for each unit detailing carryovers. Produce and distribute weekly reports to Client management on current field service activities.
* Primarily UK travel required but must be able to travel to continental Europe 6-8 times a year. Travel time anticipated at least 50% but should anticipate 75% in busy periods.
* Ability to oversee and perform trend analysis of the field service database.
* Ability to carry a Field Service pager 25% the time.
* Schedule startup/commissioning activities to maintain product delivery commitments.
* Other duties assigned.
Education - Experience:
* Engineering degree in a technical field. Electrical Engineering is preferred.
* 5-7 years' experience in an electrical power, electronics environment, and communication systems. Experience can be substituted for educational requirements.
Required Skills, Competencies, Authorities and Training Needs:
* Working knowledge of electrical power circuits.
* Working knowledge of power electronics.
* Ability to read schematics.
* Computer knowledge in a Windows environment.
* Strong written and oral communication skills.
* Self-directed and motivated.
* Ability to work both in teams and independently.
* Basic knowledge of IEC and IEEE standards for electrical installations.
* Medium voltage safety training required or must be completed prior to field assignments.
* Medium work with occasional heavy work up to 35kgs.