Senior Buyer - Commodity Specialist / USAClick here to shortlist this job 1-CLICK Apply With Employer or Register Now
|Location:||Davis, California, USA|
The Senior Buyer - Commodity Specialist is responsible for the procurement of materials in support of production schedules by obtaining parts to spec, on-time and competitive pricing from vetted and qualified suppliers. This position will interact with all Departments within the Company, Vendors and Subject Matter Experts to ensure that the company commodity strategies meet/exceed Customer requirements. This position may on occasion support indirect spend categories in addition to production materials and tools.
Commodity focus: Electro-Mechanical (ROV/TMS Launch & Recovery Systems), Hydraulics, 4kVa- 6kVa PDU's, Syntactic Foam Buoyancy, Tether and Umbilical cabling systems.
- Solicit bid pricing from current and potential new suppliers that would be qualified through the Company new supplier qualification process.
- Evaluates competitive pricing through quoting and continual supplier evaluation.
- Negotiate with suppliers as needed to provide Company the best "total cost"
- Update Part Purchasing Parameter items as needed in the MRP (Visibility) system
- Create effective commodity strategies to meet Company Product technical specifications and meet the future needs as outlined in the Company Technology/Product roadmap.
- Leverage Company resources to implement best practices, obtain most favored pricing and supplier performance management process(es)
- Work hand-in-hand with Engineering teams through-out the New Product Development process.
- Facilitate Supplier & Subcontractor/Consultant Agreements with appropriate approvals
- Negotiate Commercial Terms on all Company agreements
- Timely execution of Engineering Purchase Requisitions (EPR's) and Other Purchase Requisitions
- Analyzes production requirements generated by the MRP system and place orders accordingly.
- Creative & Effective problem solving and analytical skills.
- Follow up with suppliers on open orders, past due deliveries, receiving issues and accounts payable problems.
- Conduct and support Supplier Sourcing, Supplier Scorecard meetings and Quarterly Business Reviews (QBR's) as appropriate.
- Work all MRP action reports and coordinate with the supplier as needed to expedite, delay or cancel purchase orders.
- Maintain weekly SQDC measurements as required.
- Communicate status of Internal Purchase Requisitions as requested by other departments.
- Work with Operations team to improve on Standard Work Processes.
- Working familiarity with Lean Manufacturing principles to align supply chain performance.
- BA/BS Industrial Engineering Degree or related
- 7+ years of work experience in purchasing covering full cycle supplier management, full cycle part lifecycle management and tactical order placement and management.
- Five or more years as a user expert with an ERP/MRP system (Oracle, SAP, QAD, Visibility, other).
- Proven performance in implementing new strategies that will reduce parts and inventory costs without sacrificing on-time delivery.
- Hands-On purchasing and sourcing experience with Fabrication, Hydraulic and Electronic* parts, assemblies and products.
- Demonstrated effective organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated skills as a team leader, builder, and motivator.
- Basic understanding of accounting procedures.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word/Excel*/Outlook).
- Able to work on multiple projects & requirements at the same time.
- Prior Supervisory experience (training)
- APICS and/or CPIM certification.
- TPS/ Lean "hands-on" experience
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- The ability to mentor and train new buyers
- Detail oriented
- Excellent at following up and following through
- Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel, listen and speak for long periods of time.
- Manual dexterity using hands, fingers, and arms to push, pull, reach, grab, hold, and lift.
- Wear steel toe shoes, safety glasses and other personal protective equipment as needed.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Frequent use of PC.
- Close visual acuity is required to perform activities such a viewing computer screens and reading.