Sr. Electrical Engineer / USA
Job Title: Sr. Electrical Engineer
Job Type: Direct Hire
Location: Freeport, TX
This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to grow with one of the first and largest U.S. exporters of LNG. Very high level position where your expertise will be utilized for 3 LNG trains (the 4th in construction) to deliver 15 million metric tonnes per year (mtpa) of nominal liquefaction capacity.
Reports directly to the Engineering Manager and supervises a small number of engineers. This role is accountable for ensuring the Electrical System, from 138kV to Low Voltage, functions safely, efficiently and reliably, with the objective of meeting business goals for production while minimizing unscheduled equipment down time. This role should proactively offer solutions to avoid reliability and availability issues and meet utility connection requirements. The role will provide integrity oversight in the areas of Power System Modeling, Protective Relays, Hazardous Area Classification, and PMCS. In addition, the Senior Electrical Engineer will be required to interface with the Maintenance and Operations teams to assist with troubleshooting as well as providing technical support and act as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) on Power System Modeling, Electrical Protection Systems, High Voltage Cable Systems, Variable Frequency Drives, Harmonics, and Gas Turbine Generators.
* Review Power System Model updates with CenterPoint Energy (SSTI, SSCI, Harmonics, and Switching Transients) yearly or more frequently as applicable.
* Review and verification of application of relays, schematic diagrams, equipment ratings and protection documents.
* Update Hazardous Area Classification documentation every 5 years or when facility is modified.
* Owner of Electrical Operating Philosophies, Electrical Operations Manuals, maintenance strategies and procedures for Electrical systems.
* Analysis of Electrical System retrofits consisting of Business Case, Technical Assessment, Risk Assessment, and Cost Estimate.
* Conduct SAFOP (eHAZOP) every 5 years or prior to electrical system modifications.
* Participation in HAZOPs and HAZIDs as required.
* Support Process Trip Investigation.
* Initiate Electrical Management of Change/ minor brownfield projects where necessary. Also, provide SME oversight and assist in completion of project deliverables such as Design Basis, electrical specifications, Single Line- diagrams, protection system additions/modifications, and Hazardous Area Classification changes.
* Update short circuit studies, coordination studies, and Arc Flash Hazard assessments when facility is modified or at least every 5 years
* Plan for electrical equipment obsolescence
* Develop and maintain a system for managing revisions to Protective Relays firmware and settings files
* Develop and maintain a system for testing and monitoring Protective Relays
* Keep abreast of applicable codes and standards. Participate in industry conferences/seminars and new technology presentations.
* Other duties as assigned and deemed necessary by the Engineering Manager.
* Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering (Master's Degree preferred, TX PE license is a huge plus)
* Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC) required
* Must have at least 15+ years direct experience with High Voltage (HV) and Medium Voltage (MV) electrical power systems and HV Cable Systems, application and programming of Protective Relays
* Familiarity with the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70E, Safety in Design, and Safety in the field
* Proficient with ETAP Power System Modeling software
* Excellent planning and organizational skills and be able to evaluate and prioritize multiple tasks to ensure alignment with plant goals while acting with a sense of urgency (when required)
* Ability to effectively collaborate and work with all levels of the organization including operations, technical, plant management, contractors, vendors.
* Strong written/verbal technical communication skill
* Proficiency in all standard MS Office products, and SAP Plant Maintenance or similar computer based maintenance system
* Leadership/Delegation Skills, Effective communications, Management of budgets
* Excellent troubleshooting/analytical skills
* Must have the ability to drive a motor vehicle in order to perform the duties required
* Must be able to work in the United States without sponsorship now, or in the future
* Prefer experience with HV and MV electrical power systems and specifically HV Cable Systems, HV Gas Insulated Circuit Breakers, HV Air Insulated Switchyard Equipment, HV Gas Insulated Switchgear, Harmonics, application of Harmonic Filters, application and programming of Protective Relays, Illumination Systems, Grounding, Ground Potential Rise, Lightning Protection, Bonding