Team Leader/ Urban Planner / Liberia
|Salary:||$10000 - $12000 per month|
Team Leader / Participatory Urban Planner - Liberia
The market leading infrastructure recruitment specialist is seeking an experienced Team Leader / Participatory Urban Planner to develop the City Development Strategy for the capital city of Monrovia, Liberia.
My client is leading International consultancy firm who have a proven track record of delivering projects not only in Liberia but across the region.
The project is to undertake the development of the greater Monrovia area-City Development Strategy (CDS), a tool that will help the greater Monrovia area to harness the potential of urbanization through strategic planning focusing on 5 thematic dimensions of Governance, Citizenship, Economy, Services and the Environment. The plan will strengthen the capacity of all administrations by providing a strategic planning approach focusing on investment for economic growth and integrated natural resources management. It will integrate long-term perspectives and proposes joint actions and initiatives towards building sustainable development for the greater urban area.
The development strategy is a four-step process aimed at building maximum ownership of the results;
- Through a mix of qualitative data and qualitative consultations develop a clear understanding of the status quo in relation to the 5 dimensions of governance, citizenship, services, economy and the environment.
- Through an inclusive stakeholder engagement process define clear 25-year long term objectives broken down into short term (5 year) and medium term (10 year) objectives for each of the 5 dimensions.
- Through engagement with technical experts and broader stakeholder consultations develop long term strategies with associated implementation mechanisms and success indicators to realise the stated objectives for each of the 5 dimensions.
- Through stakeholder engagements identify a key short-term priority area for each of the 5 dimensions and elaborate into bankable project.
The project is funded by a major international development agency and will be completed to international standards.
Responsibilities on the project:
Organise, conduct and facilitate a set of participatory events such as induction workshops, community workshops, validation workshops, round table discussions and forums.
Getting organised and Situational Analysis, consisting of;
- Engaging with key stakeholders
- Municipal institutional assessments
- Establish CDS process
- Establish a Participatory Strategy Development Process
- Situation Analysis: (rapid) participatory city appraisal and profiling
- SWOT analysis
- Strengthen Data and Information Management
Visioning and strategic objectives consisting of;
- Visioning and Build Consensus on key themes
- Set strategic objectives and building consensus on strategic directions
Strategy formulation (defining programmes and projects) by;
- Developing strategic options and prioritizations
- Establish Processes for Continuous Strategy Development
- Strategic Action Planning
- Promote the Strategy
Strategy Implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation consisting of;
- Managing the implementation of the strategy
- Monitor and evaluating the strategy implementation, and making adjustments
Key requirements for the role:
- Master's Degree in city and regional planning, development studies, or in Research and Economics
- Minimum experience of 10 years in the field of urban planning and management
- Experience in strategy and policy development
- Experience working with both national and local governments, preferably in West Africa
- Management and coordination of a CDS development process
- Organising feedback workshops, round table discussions and city forums
- Data collection and management from relevant institutions and key informants
- Ensure accurate data is collected and timely quality reporting are maintained
- Ability to organize and present workshops
- Prepare for and present presentations/proposals and have round table discussions
- Strategic writing ability (English)
- Ability to manage teams of various nationalities
- Report writing; Inception report, SWOT assessment report, framework documentation, strategy report, action plans, CDS and validation reports, monitoring reports and analysis reports.
Fluent in English
The salary on offer is expected to be around $10-12,000 however there is likely to be some flexibility.
For more information on any senior Highway and Bridge jobs please contact me.