The Instrumentation Engineer independently evaluates, selects and applies engineering techniques, procedures and criteria to concurrent engineering projects. This position may manage one or more engineers and/or designers and will be responsible for interacting with Project Managers and other discipline engineers on projects. Capable of functioning as the Instrumentation Engineer for execution of all instrumentation, automation and controls discipline work for small, mid-sized and large scale upstream and midstream oil & gas projects. The Instrumentation Engineer will work as part of a project team in the execution of capital projects for new construction as well as facility upgrades and improvements. This position will report to the Facility Engineering Manager of EPC Services and is located in The Woodlands, TX.Primary Job Functions:
- Interacts with Project Managers and other engineers
- Directs project workflow of designers and drafters to ensure project completion
- Responsible for the technical content and quality of the work, and the functional integration of individual project tasks
- Selects and applies engineering principles and concepts in field of specialization with advanced working knowledge of other related disciplines
- Prepares or reviews discipline project specifications.
- Prepares or reviews requisitions for inquiry in support of purchasing equipment, materials, and subcontracts.
- Approves technical bid evaluations for equipment, materials, bulk materials and subcontracts in cooperation with Procurement Department.
- Prepares and reviews/approves operation philosophy and Cause & Effect diagrams.
- Reviews and provide inputs to Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs) and Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs)
- Develops Network Architecture, Control Loop Diagrams, Control System Block Diagrams, Wiring Diagrams, Instrument Data Sheets, Instrument Index, I/O List and layouts as required by the discipline.
- Instrument location plans, Installation details (Hook Ups) and Bill of Materials (BOM)
- Control Panel Fabrication drawings, Equipment layout drawings
- Directs/observes factory acceptance testing of equipment.
- Reviews plot plans and facilities for instrumentation requirements.
- Coordinates with and provides liaison with client personnel relative to electrical/instrumentation activities.
- Reviews and approves vendor documents.
- Prepares or reviews engineering and design status reports, logs, work plans and project variances.
- Reviews the discipline scope of work to be executed to ensure it matches project specification and/or the proposal documents as appropriate.
- Responsible for specifying/selecting various types of instruments, coordinating the correct installation of the equipment, and designing the interconnection of the equipment to the facility control systems and associated motor controls
- 2-5 years of experience in Instrumentation & Controls related to onshore oil and gas facilities
- In depth knowledgeable of natural gas industry standards and codes published by NEMA, NFPA, API, AGA, ISA, IEC, ANSI, etc. and have the ability to apply the standards to measurement, process control and control system designs.
- Knowledge of computer systems in an engineering environment.
- EIT required and PE preferred
- Four Year Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering from an ABET accredited college/university required
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office applications
- The candidate must exhibit the ability to work well in a team environment to complete tasks associated with a common goal or project
- Displays strong written and oral communication skills and employs effective listening skills
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the electrical engineering field
- Utilizes exceptional multi-tasking and organizational skills with excellent attention to detail and emphasis on quality
- Accuracy, timeliness, tact, self-starter, problem-solving skills, and ability to work effectively with both employees and managers
- Respect for confidentiality concerning employee information and company records
- Convey a positive and professional image to employees
- Maintain customer relationships
- Understanding of commercial and technical risk assessments
- Good communication, motivational skills with demonstrable leadership with ability for conflict resolution
- Willingness to assist and research enquiries, investigate and interpret data essential
- Good Commercial awareness
- Considerable knowledge in electrical engineering principles and their application in engineering projects
- Considerable experience in the oil & gas industry and the application of electrical equipment therein
- Considerable knowledge of engineering materials used within discipline
- Considerable knowledge in the requirements and needs of other disciplines
- Performs job safely with respect to others, property and individual safety
- Authorized to work in the United States