We are a leading global technical recruitment company providing professional contract and permanent staff to a diverse world- wide client base within the oil & gas Industry. Our client, a large oil and gas operator, is seeking a Civil Engineering Specialist/PM in Edmonton, Alberta.
This will be a long term contract (multiple year) contract role starting ASAP. The shift will be 5 days on/ 2 days off (Mon-Fri) 40 hours per week, Individuals will need to be local to Edmonton as no LOA or relocation will be provided.
This is a dual role, primary role providing technical engineering guidance in the engineering specialist discipline and the secondary role managing the execution of projects from Detail Engineering through to Start-up (Project Manager)
• Support the Project Management Group by assuming responsibility for the oversight of the designated disciplines scope carried out by FEED and/or Detailed Design Contractor (typically our EPC contractor) for the projects assigned to the Engineering Surveillance team
• Provide technical consulting to Process Designers and PMDs for input into early design bases and cost estimates
• Evaluate and comment on engineering deliverables prepared by the Contractor and sub-contractors (aligning with Project Managers on the comments and tracking in the Engineering Surveillance database). Deliverables include drawings, calculations, reports, models and lists.
• Evaluate compliance with project design basis (Early Project Design Basis, Abbreviated Design Spec and/or Project Design Basis), specifications , Company standards and regulatory requirements.
• Drive capital efficiency in design, and assess cost effectiveness of proposed solutions to meet the Project's performance, safety, and regulatory requirements.
• Coordinate and communicate the resolution of discipline engineering issues. Keep Project Programs Lead and relevant Project Manager – Development or Execution informed of engineering progress, deviations, and execution planning concerns.
• Identify and evaluate specification deviations and ensure that they are processed according to Company procedures.
• Drive effective application of Global Practices and company standards, including supporting risk based evaluation of technical deviations and supporting internal alignment with SME’s to ensure associated technical risks are managed.
• Monitor adherence to Contractor’s engineering and quality control procedures.
• Ensure that Company-supplied information required by Contractor is provided in a timely manner. Coordinate the development and supply of this information.
• Steward response to queries and technical information requests from the Contractor.
• Support Project Managers and Start-up Leaders during project start-up (ensure facilities installed meet design requirements and specifications)
• Support discipline technical input related to project equipment strategy development process.
• Ensure that safety program and site safety standards are being utilized on an individual project basis
• Ensure that all SSHE incidents are reported per site policies
• Complete Near Loss and Loss Investigations to find root causes and actions to prevent reoccurrence of the Near Loss or Loss
• Submit Hazard ID cards (minimum 1 per week)
• Participate in the site LPS program by performing LPSA checks on workers in the field, participating in LPOs, identifying opportunities for and developing JLAs, and by participating in the monthly LPS stewardship meetings
• Complete routine field safety leadership tours and report on results to the Project Execution Lead
• Mentor coworkers and contractors on adherence to the site safety programs
• Develop the project specific safety plans in conjunction with the contractors performing the execution
• Complete the PMG safety matrix on a weekly basis
• Attend weekly site safety huddle
• Attend the weekly contractor(s) safety meetings
• Attend daily contractor toolbox talks as assigned REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCES
• Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil / Structural Engineering
• Registered Professional Engineer with APEGA
• Minimum 10 years of engineering experience for the Petroleum or Petrochemical Industries (preferably specific to oil refining) in Civil / Structural discipline
• Preferably 5 years of experience working with an Engineering Contractor (as part of the engineering contractor or client oversight)
• Project Management / Construction Management experience an asset
• Ability to work independently and exercise strong technical judgment
• Ability to effectively interact with a large and diverse group of engineering and management professionals
• Thorough knowledge of:
? Relevant engineering discipline and design principles, theories, and concepts
? Applicable codes, standards (CSA, ABC), and trade practices
• Familiarity with practices, processes, and expectations with respect to relevant engineering discipline is an asset
• Working knowledge and expert judgment in the selection and application of engineering tools
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite of software programs
• Excellent communication and influencing skills
• Strong networking and facilitation skills Only qualified candidates will be contacted.