Start Date: ASAP
End Date: 6 Months
Closing date: 2018-06-26 12:00:00
PURPOSE AND SUMMARY OF SCOPE:
The Engineering Geologist – Site will work closely with Senior Geological / Geological Engineering, Construction Management and Contractors to support the grouting and rock support required for Project. This includes interpreting the technical requirements or the design documents to provide clear understanding of the requirements. The Engineering Geologist will assist the Senior Geotechnical Engineer to supervise construction works with focus on rock foundation grouting, rock mapping, rock excavation, rock support and application of geotechnical specifications for the North Dam construction and Tailrace channel rock excavation.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following is being executed as a Contract Scope of Work.
The duties and functions of the Engineering Geologist shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Studies Drawings and specifications issued to the field and reports to Senior Geotechnical Engineer any ambiguities, interferences or errors found on the drawings, specifications and assigned work;
- Inspection and mapping of rock excavations to help determine rock support requirements;
- Inspection and mapping of rock foundations prior to placing concrete or embankment materials;
- Inspection of rockmass excavation and construction activities for recording data of the ground condition encountered;
- Provide assistance to the Geological / Geotechnical Engineers on rock stabilization, rock support and safety issues;
- Inspection and recording of data, if required, during the drilling and grouting of curtain grouting holes and drainage hole construction, installation of rock dowels, rock bolts / anchors and quality proof tests;
- Inspection and supervision of geotechnical instrumentation during installation and monitoring if and when it is necessary.
- Assist QA in review of Contractors material certification, surveying and materials testing;
- Review and assess Owners field Materials Testing;
- Participate in review of Contractor’s Quality Control program;
- Participate in review of Contractors submittals;
- Provide technical support to construction activities at the worksite;
- Reviews proposals for field changes and substitutions and recommends action to Senior Engineer Geologists and Lead Site Geotechnical Engineer for approval;
- Obtains and supplies field representatives and QA inspectors with applicable codes, manufacturer’s instructions, vendor drawings and installation procedures required for field work as directed by Lead Site Geotechnical Engineer;
- Assists material control group when requested in inspection of equipment and material;
- Performs any other duties that may be requested by Senior Geotechnical Engineer; and
- Acts as engineering representative on the Construction Site.
- Incumbent shall work in accordance with the Health and Safety Policies & Procedures and strive to eliminate any potential risk which could result in personal injury or occupational illness.
- Incumbent shall be familiar with the Environmental Policy and Guiding Principles and applicable environmental Standard Operating Procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering Geology / Geotechnical Engineering.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
- 3 to 5 years of related experience in similar role is preferred;
- Engineering Geological / Geotechnical experience in the hydroelectric engineering consulting sector is preferred;
- Experience interpreting information from geotechnical field investigations;
- Experience with identification of construction problems and resolution through change notice;
- Experience in hydroelectric dam construction, rock foundation preparation, material production, instrumentation installation etc.
- Site inspection and construction experience in large structures;
- Experience with foundation preparation, materials testing, specifications and drawing preparation;
- Knowledge of engineering theory, principals practices as they relate to geotechnical designs;
- Good knowledge of civil engineering principals, standards and regulations relating to construction, inspection and workplace health and safety;
- Working knowledge of Quality Assurance and Quality Control principals and procedures;
- Demonstrated ability to verbally and graphically convey problem resolution to engineering and construction parties;
- Ability to develop processes and articulate within the project organization;
- Ability to quickly assimilate new data, including highly technical information;
JOB REQUIREMENTS, WORKING CONDITIONS, ETC.:
- Strong ability to use Microsoft applications such as word, excel, outlook, power point, etc.;
- Demonstrate a willingness to adhere to Nalcor Energy’s vision and values.
- Willingness to work on a management-style turnaround arrangement;
- Incumbent must be willing to work at site;